The figure rendered frontally in contrapposto, the remains of a cloak joined by a small support and draped over his right arm which was originally pinned, and diagonally over his back. The small sculpture is worked almost in the round with a great sense of naturalism, the marble worked to a smooth finish in the main, evidence of the tooth chisel to the rear of the figure and the drapery. Provenance: Originally in the collection of Lockwood de Forrest (1850 - 1932). De Forrest was one of the leading interior designers and artists in the United Sates in the second half of the 19th century and the first quarter of the 20th century. He trained as a painter in Rome where he studied in 1868. There he became a close friend of fellow countryman Frederick Church who specialized in landscapes. Church introduced de Forrest to antiquities, which he had also seen on tour of Egypt and the Lebanon prior to meeting de Forrest. In Rome the two were to visit the antiquity stores and the following year they met again in Athens where they spent time painting the Parthenon and the ruins of the Acropolis. The figure sits on a custom made bronze and fabricated steel plinth.
Statue: Height 40 cm, Width 21 cm, Depth 16 cm
Steel Plinth: 58.5 cm x15cm x 18cm